A roundup of expert insights and ideas from the 2017 Healthcare Marketing and Physician Strategies Summit.
As reflected in these excerpts from conference presentations, here's what the industry's best and brightest marketing minds are talking about.
Embracing Marketing Automation
Orlando Health Director of Digital Simon Yohe shared the following signs that you’re ready to invest in marketing automation:
- You’re generating a steady flow of new and qualified prospects.
- You have a high number of potential prospects/patients and unable to nurture optimally through manual efforts.
- You have a proven lead nurturing strategy that you want to scale.
- You have a strong content strategy mapped to your patient’s journey.
- You are tracking your prospects/patients actions across multiple touch point and marketing channels (not just email).
Making the Move to Mobile
Cleveland Clinic Executive Director of Digital and Content Marketing Brian Gresh advised healthcare organizations to ensure their websites are mobile friendly.
- 49% of people will abandon a website if it takes longer than 10 seconds to load. (Kissmetrics)
- 2 seconds is the threshold for e-commerce website acceptability. Google aims for under a half second.
- Although our search index will continue to be a single index of websites and apps, our algorithms will eventually primarily use the mobile version of a site’s content to rank pages from that site, to understand structured data, and to show snippets from those pages in our results. (Google)
A Data-Driven Approach to Service Line Growth
LifePoint Health Vice President of Strategy and National Physician Relations Mitzi Kent, RN, BSN, provided these keys to aligning physician relations goals with hospital goals:
- Meet with department directors on how to grow their departments.
- Base your tactics on the tactics of the hospital strategic plan.
- Remember to set goals around what YOU can impact and control.
- Conduct frequent discussions with leadership on your progress and barriers to growth.
- Be specific to leadership on what you will be able to grow and provide a realistic time frame.
New Models and Tools for Consumer Engagement
Novant Health SVP and Chief Marketing and Communications Officer David Duvall answered the question, “What does consumerism really mean in healthcare?”
Due to the pressure to pay for their own care, rise in self-directed health plans, and shift towards emerging retail options, most consumers want:
- Consistent availability
- Greater value
- Better quality
- Low prices
- Multiple options
- To be served, not sold
Psychographic Segmentation for More Efficient and Effective Targeted Marketing Efforts
Emory Healthcare Corporate Director of Market Strategy Amy Comeau offered these four keys to success with segmentation:
- Think patient-centered marketing first!
- Develop a set of core personas.
- Once created, put personas at the core of every marketing decision:
- Make sure ad creative reflects personas in the imagery, voice over, and settings.
- Make sure tactics and placements reflect personas with programmatic, choice, geo-targeting, retargeting, etc.
- Make sure content and context reflect personas.
Get more useful tips, tricks and best practices delivered to your inbox.